Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that causes around 60 deaths each year in England and Wales. This colourless, odourless and tasteless gas is extremely dangerous to those who become exposed, entering your bloodstream after it’s inhaled. The best way to prevent you, your family and employees from this risk, is to make sure your home and workplace are fitted with a carbon monoxide detector. Staggeringly, research has found that almost 27 million people in the UK don’t that this kind of alarm fitted – the best mode of prevention from this deadly gas.

To get yourself clued up on how carbon monoxide can make its way into your property, this blog will explain all you need to know.

What is carbon monoxide poisoning?

Unsafe gas appliances can leak an extremely poisonous gas called carbon monoxide – this often happens as a result of badly fitted appliances, those which are poorly maintained, incorrectly repaired or have blocked vents. As a result, there is an incomplete burning of natural gases and carbon monoxide is produced. When this is inhaled, it replaces the oxygen in your bloodstream causing your body tissue and cells to die, with even a small amount of the gas causing poisoning or other long term effects.

What are the symptoms?

There are six main symptoms you should look out for, as being aware of these changes could save your life. Many people mistake carbon monoxide poisoning for similar illnesses such as the flu, fatigue or viral infections. Symptoms include:

● Headaches & dizziness

● Nausea

● Difficulty breathing

● Loss of consciousness

● Others in your household (including pets) experiencing similar symptoms

● Feeling better when you are out of the home

You can also look out for warning signs around the home:

● Flames on your hob appear yellow or orange instead of a crisp blue

● The pilot light regularly goes out

● An increase in condensation around the home

How can it be prevented?

If you suspect you have carbon monoxide poisoning you should:

● Turn off your gas appliances, open doors and windows to let fresh air in and leave the property

● See your doctor immediately or go to the hospital. If you believe you are in immediate danger call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999

● Have a Gas Safe engineer inspect your appliances

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

● Install a carbon monoxide alarm that will alert you if there’s a leak in your home

● Have your boiler regularly serviced as well as your other gas-fuelled appliances

Keep your home or workplace safe by having a trained engineer service and professionally repair your appliances. Prestige Plumbers has a team of expert technicians on hand to solve your problems big or small, and with over 40 years of experience, you can rest assured that you’ll be satisfied with our work. For more information get in touch today.